suppose 一词的用法很灵活，在高考中常以不同的面目出现。这里对 suppose 的用法进行归纳总结。
1. suppose 意为“认为，猜测”，后常接“宾语+宾语补足语”形式。
① suppose sb./sth. to have done 的结构。
They supposed the paper to have been lost during the war. 他们认为那个文件在战争期间丢失了。
The police arrested him because he was supposed to have killed the lady. 警察逮捕了他，认为他杀死了那位女士。
② suppose sb./sth. +形容词 / 介词短语的结构。
Everyone supposes him poor, but he is really quite wealthy. 大家都认为他很穷，实际上很很阔。
She was supposed to be an excellent student in our school. 她被认为是我校优秀的学生。
③ suppose + it +形容词 / 名词+ to do 的结构。
I suppose it my duty to help those in poverty. 我认为帮助那些处于贫困中的人是我的义务。
2. suppose 可用于“ be supposed +不定式”的结构。
① be supposed to do sth. = should do sth. 意为“应该 / 理应做某事”，表示被期望或被要求做某事。
We are supposed to help each other. 我们理应互相帮助。
You are supposed to hand in your papers before class is over. 希望你下课前交卷子。
② be not supposed to do sth. 常用来表示不允许或禁止做某事，表示委婉的禁止。
Students are not supposed to play football in the classroom. 学生不允许在教室里踢足球。
③ be supposed to have done = should have done = ought to have done 表示“过去本该做某事但实际上未做”。
The train is supposed to have arrived an hour ago. 火车应该在 1 小时前到达。
3. suppose 可用过去完成时表示“未曾实现的愿望”。
We had supposed that we would be able to see more of Shanghai, but time didn't permit. 我们本打算能多看看上海，但时间却不允许了。
注意：与 suppose 这种用法相同的还有： hope, think, expect, mean, want, intend, plan 等。
4. suppose 可用于“ suppose + that ”句型。
What makes you suppose I'm against it? 你根据什么认为我反对这件事?
It was generally supposed that it would not happen again. 一般认为此事不会再发生。
5. 由 suppose 引导的宾语从句，如果主句的主语是第一人称 I 或 we ，并且主句谓语是一般现在时态，从句的否定一般要转移到主句上来，其反意疑问句一般与宾语从句一致。
I don't suppose for a minute that he'll agree. 我认为他决不同意。
We don't suppose they will say sorry to her, will they? 我们认为他们不会对她说对不起，是吧?
注意：与 suppose 这种用法相同的还有： think, believe, imagine, expect 等。
6. suppose 可用于简略答语中，用 so 代替一个肯定的宾语从句;用 not 代替一个否定的宾语从句。
— Do you suppose he'll fail to catch the train?
— I suppose so./ I suppose not.
—我想会的。 / 我想不会。
注意：与 suppose 这种用法相同的还有： think, believe, expect, imagine 等。但应注意 hope 和 be afraid 则不同于以上的用法。
— Will he win the game?
— Yes, I hope so./No, I hope not.
7. suppose 可用于插入语中。
① do you suppose 用作插入语，用来征询对方对某事的看法，常放在疑问词的后面，并且句子要用陈述语序。
What do you suppose made her so angry? 你认为什么事使她如此生气?
When do you suppose we shall begin our class? 你认为我们什么时候开始上课?
注意：与 suppose 这种用法相同的还有： believe, expect, think, imagine, guess 等。
② I suppose 也可用作插入语，表示说话者的态度或看法，常用于句中或句末。
You don't mind my smoking, I suppose? 我想你不会介意我抽烟吧?
She'll be there today, I suppose. 我想她今天能到那儿去。
8. suppose 可引导条件状语从句，意为“如果，假如”。
Suppose he is absent, what shall we do? 假如他缺席，我们怎么办?
注意：如果想表示“即使”，应用 supposing 而不用 suppose 。
Supposing you miss him, he is not likely to miss you. 即使你碰不到他，他也可能碰到你。
注意： suppose 或 supposing 引导的条件状语从句应用一般现在时代替将来时。
9. suppose 用来表示建议，常用在祈使句中，意为“……怎么样”。
Suppose we go to the seaside for the weekend. 我们去海边度周末怎么样?
1. I don't suppose anyone will volunteer, _____________?
A. do I B. don't I C. will they D. won't they
2. Suppose he _________ the truth, how shall we deal with him?
A. won't tell B. didn't tell C. doesn't tell D. hadn't told
3. I suppose ___________. Which one is wrong?
A. your daughter very beautiful B. your daughter to be very beautiful
C. that your daughter is very beautiful D. your daughter's being very beautiful
4. The professor also mentioned an article __________ by Lu Xun.
A. supposed to have been written B. supposed to be writing
C. supposing to have been written D. supposing to be written
5. — You ___________ part in the party in time.
— Sorry, I was delayed by the accident.
A. are supposed to take B. have supposed to take
C. are supposed to have taken D. supposed to take
6. He was supposed ___________ a college graduate but he knew nothing of history.
A. to be B. being C. to have been D. having been
7. If you go to Xi'an, you'll find the places there more magnificent than commonly ________.
A. supposing B. supposed C. to suppose D. suppose